host families are flexible and open-minded, are age 26 or older, come in all sizes and represent the diversity of american culture. our families are of varied economic and racial backgrounds and include working parents, empty nesters, singles and single parents.
What would be expected of me and my family?
- A safe and nurturing environment for your international student
- Open communication, encouragement, patience and sound advice
- A private bedroom (preferred) or shared bedroom (with a host sibling of the same gender) and a quiet place to study
- Two - three meals a day (school lunch provided)
- Local transportation (students are not permitted to drive while on the program)
- Treatment as a member of the family, which may include household rules, responsibilities and privileges
How long does a student stay?
葡京游戏官网students are attending high school for a full school year, which is 10 months, generally september through june. students return home for the summer months. a handful of students begin in the spring semester (5 months). most of our students will begin as sophomores or juniors and intend to complete their high school education at jcs.
What countries do the students come from?
the primary sending country is china, but we are expanding into several other countries.
What do I have to pay for?
Foreign exchange students come with their own spending money and are responsible for paying for their own
activities and costs incurred for school functions.
Will my exchange student be covered under my health insurance?
students have their own comprehensive health insurance coverage during their stay. they will not have to join your health plan.
Do I get paid to be a host family?
葡京游戏官网a homestay stipend is given to host families to compensate for room and board.
What if I have questions about adjusting to my student? Who do I contact?
jcs offers support in three ways.
- Ms. Laura Courtney is the program coordinator and works daily with the international students.
- Carrie Antesberger, a host mom, schedules monthly support group meetings and welcomes the opportunity to encourage and support other host families.
- JCS is currently in the process of setting up respite for host families as needed.